Sarah and Gwen: the Two-Headed Monster

This blog is about everything involving Lexington, KY or anything else we feel like yapping about.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Everyday Independence

Yesterday, I stayed home puttering in my garden. Preparing food that didn't come from a package. Enjoying the scent of basil picked from the pots on my patio. Quietly relaxing with my wife. Quietly, sitting beside her, watching the fireworks. This is independence, as is whatever you decided to do with your day. I didn't need to go to the old court house to hear the words of that long ago declaration that rocked the foundations of the world. Those words are printed indelabely on my heart.

Somewhere along the line the radical idea that people can respectfully differ from others, desolve political ties, and still hold an equal station to those they disagree took root in American soil. Our founders believed that "Nature and Nature's God" entitled them (us) to a "separate and equal place among nations."

I place both of these quotes in italics because they are the core of the argument going on now. Those who believe America is a Christian nation, read this to mean the Christian God; the rest of us do not. There are others who see a "separate and equal place among nations" as license to do whatever we please, without regard for others. Against that idea are those who think we do not have the right to run through shared resources or dictate how other nations are governed. It is the right speak about those disagreements that makes me love this long running experiment in self-government.

America's greatness is in the belief that ordinary citizens are "endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." The power of government is shared equally by each of us. The success or failure of America is also in our hands. We have the right to "alter or abolish" our government if it fails in its duty. But there is a catch to all this, along with the right to govern comes the responsibility to do so wisely.

In declaring independence there were parameters set. How many of today's leaders would you define as governing with prudence? How many have really worked for the safety and happiness of the people governed?

Yesterday, I celebrated my Independence quietly. Everyday Independence can only continue if each of us demands that our government acts wisely in protecting everyone's life, libety, and right pursue happiness.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Glenn said...

Dear Dogma Over Karma:

If this was the 'weirdest' posting you've ever read on the Internet, you don't get out much.

For weirder posts, try:

http://www.subgenius.com/

Gwen and I are wives, regardless of what you label it. In the meantime, consider what would happen if other people got to vote on who you could marry.

12:17 PM  
Blogger Gwen Mayo said...

Rightoverwrong, I think you picked the wrong name. Your reference to pervesion was was hardly right. As for your comment on my wife, that is facts are very simple. I am married. The state and nation choose to pretend that marriage doesn't exist.

Official blindness doesn't change the facts. For instance America refuses to recognize the government of Cuba. This doesn't make Castro any less real or the country he rules disappear. The bigots have often managed to pass these sorts of laws in our nation. Eventually, this one like the ones before will be overturned.

Go ahead, close your eyes, pretend we and thousands of other couples like us are not here. It will not make us vanish nor will it make my marriage any less real. All this hate filled legislation will ever accomplish is make you and others like you feel better about denying us the rights and protections you take for granted. Someday, your children or your children's children will realize what a bigot you were and do what is really right.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Sarah Glenn said...

Dear Bumoverbrains:

Does your mom know you're using her computer?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Gwen Mayo said...

Gee. You make me curious about something, does your comment mean that if all the women in the world were fat you would suddendly be attracted to men? That is the converse of your logic. In other words, either you are so unsure of your sexuality that you could change it over something like weight or you don't know what you are talking about.

I believe we are attracted to who we are attracted to. In my case, that has always been other women, or at least since I was eleven and saw my first Katherine Hepburn film. Those feelings haven't changed or wavered ever. It took a long time for me to come to terms with not having any interest in boys. It took longer to come to terms with people like you. I called you a bigot because that is what you are. If you don't believe that reread what you last posted.

I am a very fortunate woman to have met and fallen in love with a wonderful person who agreed to be my wife, even though becoming my wife required we travel a long distance from Kentucky to get married, and deal with the fact that our state would not to recognize the vows we took.

Official blindness on the part of our government does not make those vows less binding, either in the eyes of God or the courts.

BTW: I really hope you are not really attracted to your dog and that if you are your girl friend doesn't find out. I could suggest a good therapist if you would like. Just email me if you want help.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Frank said...

Dear rightoverwrong,
I guess that "right" here probably means "as in Christian Right" (as in Ralph Reed, Jerry Falwall, Pat Robertson, etc.) because it surely doesn't mean "correct" or "rational". I equally guess that "wrong" here probably means "sin" or "abnormal".
This is from a minister and missionary (retired) of a Protestant church as well as a holder of three university degrees so I think I know irrational ad hominem (google it and have your mom read it to you) attacks.
Your opinion is probably based on a tribal document whose writing occurred between 2,000 and 3,000 years ago. The tribal document (sometimes called "The Bible")is wrong in its judgments on homosexuality (found in Leviticus and Romans)because we now know that people are born with a DNA (google it) that predisposes them in the same way that it predisposes toward height, hair color, etc. (none of which are either "right" or "wrong".
This is also from Gwen's father-in-law. Lay off her until your iq exceeds your shoe size.
Frank

11:34 AM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Not to be side-tracked by right-to-be-wrong, I would like to say that this posting was beautiful and well put in it's own right, as was the demonstration of the loving relationships within your family through the comments that were instigated by this damaged example of our species.

As I would say for virtually all of your posts (would probably say for all, except I am not from Kentucky so am not in touch with your politics) this was very well put, and a pleasure to read.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Sarah Glenn said...

Dear Dog Dater:

Please don't feign surprise. You came onto this page, launched several ad hominem attacks on the author, then express 'surprise' that a) the people who ran the page responded and b) relatives of the people who ran the page responded as well?

It seems to me that this is what you were hoping to provoke in the first place. You are not fooling or impressing anyone here.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Gwen Mayo said...

I feel sorry for rightover wrong. You might wonder why I feel pity for a poster who contributes nothing of value, but think about it. When this reader looked at my blog he didn't see the message of the post. He cannot think about the rich history of our country, the importance of independence, or even the beauty of fireworks in the night sky. All his bigoted mind can focus on is my marriage, more precisely, all he thinks about is sex.

His is a frightenly narrow view of my relationship with my wife. His mind does not allow him to grasp the everyday struggles of our lives. He cannot see two ordinary working people, or hardships we have faced together over the past dozen years. He wasn't here for duel battle when I was facing cancer and she got downsized at the office. He knows nothing of us, and less than nothing of what it takes to make a marriage work. He doesn't want to know. His whole ambition is to tear down. For this he has my pity.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Wanderer said...

Then, in truth, you are stronger than I. While I see where you are coming from, to often his type is too dangerous for me to pity.

Dangerous to the well being of those who aren't as strong and self confident as you appear to be. More literally and physically damaging some times.

Then again, the anger that such people tend to ignite does nothing but burn in me, and cause me trouble, at no cost to them. So I guess my instinctive reaction would play much more into their hands than yours appears to.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home